22 Jul Landlords responsibilities for electrical safety
Rewiring your home?
Whether you are a letting agent responsible for a large number of properties or a private landlord renting only a few properties. Rewiring your home could prevent accidents and save money in the long term. You will be aware of your responsibilities for the safety of your tenants in these properties. Here’s a little refresher:
Landlords are required by law to ensure the following:
- The electrical installation in a rented property is safe when tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition throughout its duration.
- A house in multiple occupation (HMO) has a periodic inspection every 5 years. If your house is not an HMO you are not legally obliged to do this. However, we recommend that a periodic test and inspection is carried out every 5 years by an electrician.
- That any appliance is safe and has at least the CE marking
In other words, all sockets and light fittings should be safe to use and in good working order. All appliances that have been supplied must also be completely safe to use, for example, cookers and electric showers.
How can RH Foster Electrical help?
We provide all the electrical services you need to maintain your property. We can undertake and supply the following:-
- Electrical installation condition reports
- Inspection of wiring
- Checking the safety of the fuse board
- Checking all electrical installations are earthed
- PAT testing
- Testing all appliances – cookers, showers, kettles etc
- Smoke alarm testing
- Other maintenance and repairs